Skip to content

Work Trend Index: Will AI Fix Work?

1 min
leadership  ✺  career  ✺  management  ✺  ai  ✺  productivity

Microsoft just dropped a 29-page annual report on Work Trend Index: Will AI Fix Work?

I created a TL;DR of the main findings to save you time.

1. Workplace Communication vs. Creation Time: The average employee spends 57% of their time to communication, including meetings, email, and chat. The remaining 43% is used for creating content through documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.

2. Lack of Focus Time: A significant 68% of employees report not having enough uninterrupted focus time during their workday.

3. Information Overload: 62% of survey respondents report struggling with the excessive time spent searching for information during their workday.

4. Obstacles to Productivity: The top five obstacles impeding productivity are:
1) Having inefficient meetings
2) Lacking clear goals
3) Having too many meetings
4) Feeling uninspired
5) Difficulty in finding required information.

5. AI and Productivity: 31% of respondents believe that AI will enhance their productivity, representing the highest impact category.

6. Workplace of 2030: When envisioning the workplace of 2030, respondents prioritized:
1) Time-saving mechanisms
2) Working smarter
3) Ending information overload
4) Banishing busywork
5) Solving search issues
6) Unleashing creativity

7. Essential Skills in the AI Era: The three skills considered most vital in the AI era are:
1) Analytical Judgment
2) Flexibility
3) Emotional Intelligence

8. Preparation for AI Growth: 82% of leaders believe their employees will need to acquire new skills to adapt to the growing influence of AI in the workplace.

Reading the report, and while I concur that AI is and will usher in productivity enhancements, I believe improvements to our ways of working that transcend technology are needed to improve outcomes and job satisfaction. This is particularly true in the areas of deep work, collaboration, vision and goal setting, and soft-skills development.

Next

Skillsets: Future of Work

7 Career Growth Myths:

7 Career Growth Myths: